Sunday, October 6, 2013

How did this all get started ?!?

I thought I would write a little about the origins of Hillbilly and the Appalachian Peg Game.  The APG started out as a kickstarter project, and only 7 people backed the idea.  No where near the amount I wanted. Not stopping from lack of interest (or lack of knowledge of the product on the part of the consumer is more like it....the game is fun and even funnier that the "blah" triangle shape,  but anyway....) I kept the dream going through this blog.  And I created a webcomic called Hillbilly.  Hillbilly was originally part of an ad of sorts I designed to promote the APG, and then I thought I would continue with the comic because I liked doing it. 

Here is the "copy" I put up on kickstarter:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Can you figure out how to get to Heaven (almost) or be in a State of Love? Classic peg game gets the Appalachian reboot. Dichotomy Now!
The project I am working on is a simple derivative of a classic public domain peg game found almost ubiquitously as a triangle at a certain restaurant.  The important difference is this has the pleasing asymmetrical design of the State of Almost Heaven (West Virginia to the uninitiated). The finish and artwork on the Appalachian Peg Game (APG) will change and improve once the project is started.  The money will be used to buy supplies like lumber, sandpaper, blades and a saw. Depending on the amount raised and saw/equipment I am able to obtain then within one to two months the APGs should be completed and delivered.  If 850 people are willing to help fund this endeavor at the minimum reward level  ($20, wow!) then the project's goal will be met. In addition you will also have a unique reward in the form of a completed signed and numbered APG, promising way more than $20 worth of fun.
But there is more!  Due to the geography of West Virginia the Appalachian Peg Game would not be complete without the dichotomous addition of the State of Virginia.  Whether it is Heaven or Hell in West Virginia or Love and Hate in Virginia there is something for everyone found in the Appalachian Peg Game.  The price is this same for a Virginia Edition ($20, cheap!),  Indicate which one you prefer by choosing the reward of your liking.  If you can't make up your mind or want a game that will put Almost Heaven and a State of Love right in the palm of your hand then for $35 you can have both.
I am hoping there is interest in the APG so I will be able to continue to produce the WV and VA Editions as well as develop other creative wood based projects."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Wow!  And to think I came up with this thing on a whim.  I saw something about kickstarter somewhere and thought I would just go for it.  I had nothing to lose, except, of course, my respect or dignity.  But I didn't care, threw caution to the wind....and, like I said, ended up with seven backers (a few were probably spammers, too).  Why won't strangers back something questionable from someone they don't know with little or no guarantee of a payoff? 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to get adsense up and running, but google says there is not enough "talk".  Well, Hillbilly has talk, but maybe they see that as "images".    Perhaps if I blogged the "script" of the comic ....hmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment